Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio Denials
Title: Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio Strongly Denies Second Sexual Abuse Claim from 1970s, Contemplates Filing Defamation Lawsuit
Author: Christopher White
Publisher: The Tablet
MANHATTAN — Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio is strongly denying a second allegation by attorney Mitchell Garabedian that he abused a minor during his early ministry as a priest and says he is considering filing a defamation lawsuit against Garabedian, whom he says continues to pursue false allegations against him.
“There is absolutely no truth to this allegation. I deny this outrageous and libelous claim,” he said in a statement in response to an Associated Press article on June 4.
The article claims that Samier Tadros, now 46 years old, was “repeatedly sexually abused” by Bishop DiMarzio at Holy Rosary Church in Jersey City, beginning when Tadros was about six years old.
“This is clearly another attempt to destroy my name and discredit what I have accomplished in my service to God and His people, including my efforts to fight the scourge of sexual abuse,” said Bishop DiMarzio’s statement. “I have retained counsel and am contemplating filing a lawsuit against those responsible for these accusations, which have no basis in fact. I am ready, willing, and able to go to trial to defend myself.”
Garabedian said he received a letter from Tadros on March 9, detailing his accusations against Bishop DiMarzio after Tadros heard of the previous claim brought forth by Garabedian.
The initial allegation against Bishop DiMarzio was first reported on Nov. 13 by the Associated Press.
In the report, Garabedian alleged that Bishop DiMarzio repeatedly abused an altar boy, now 57-year-old Mark Matzek, at St. Nicholas Parish in Jersey City, N.J., in the 1970s, and in a letter to the Archdiocese of Newark, N.J., he said he intended to file a lawsuit in December, when New Jersey’s look-back window for cases that had passed the statute of limitations opened. The alleged victim also claims he was abused by a second priest, the late Father Albert Mark.
The first allegation against Bishop DiMarzio came last fall at the time when Bishop DiMarzio had been selected by Pope Francis to conduct an apostolic visitation to the Diocese of Buffalo, N.Y., to investigate allegations that Bishop Richard Malone mishandled sexual abuse cases.
Seven months later, however, Garabedian has yet to bring a lawsuit against Bishop DiMarzio, preventing him the opportunity to formally defend himself against the allegations.
“Both allegations against my client are more than 40 years old, and the accusers are each seeking 20-million dollars from the Newark Archdiocese,” said attorney Joseph Hayden who is representing Bishop DiMarzio.
For more information visit: